Friday, October 14, 2011

Don't fall in love with your lob wedge.

I see far too many players using the same club for all of their short game shots.  Most of the time it is their lob wedge.  A lob wedge is fine if you need to get the ball in the air quickly and stop it rather quickly.  When I tell students that they can use a 5 or 6 iron to hit short game shots with, they look at me like i'm crazy.  When you use a less lofted club to chip with, you are effectively moving the target(landing point) closer to you.  Don't you think you would have a better chance of hitting a target if it were closer to you?  I think so!!  I encourage all of my students to expirement with different clubs around the green to see what works best for them.  The key is to use lots of clubs around the green and not to be in love with one.  Give it a try and watch this video from Scott Stallings as he demonstrates this technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi1nVmref3k&feature=player_profilepage

No comments:

Post a Comment